Why join the Scottish Massage Therapists' Organisation?
The Secretary of State has said that the SMTO is the pre-eminent Massage Organisation in Scotland and has given permission for us to use the word 'Scottish'. Here are at least 10 good reasons to join us!
- The SMTO is all embracing - all Schools (private and government funded) are invited to affiliate and all Massage Therapists who are trained to the required professional standard are invited to apply.
- The SMTO works to improve standards. There are now national standards in Massage Therapies organised by the General Council for Massage Therapies. Professional organisations such as the SMTO uphold the standards of ethics and professionalism, as well as those of the actual practice of Massage Therapy.
- The SMTO works to promote Massage Therapy by encouraging members to attend Health Shows and promotional events in Scotland, supporting them with promotional material. SMTO works nationally and internationally, giving talks, radio interviews and workshops.
- The SMTO works to improve the image of Massage Therapy as it emerges as a safe and effective therapy. Some Massage Therapists are working in hospital settings, others in doctors’ surgeries and others work alongside other health care professionals in the sports field, in midwifery, paediatrics, psychiatry, hospice care and in care of the elderly and infirm and other healing environments. Others are promoting On-Site massage.
- Membership is on the increase and as important contacts are made in the Massage Field around the world, the SMTO can be said to have its finger on the pulse of Massage Therapy worldwide.
- We encourage:The SMTO provides a Register and a helpline so that members of the public can be referred to individual therapists in their area. This service is also on-line at www.scotmass.co.uk
- networking between Members
- referrals via the Directory of Therapists which is generally available to the public and on-line
- further education for Members - via workshops and seminars
- joining the Complementary and Natural Health Care Council (CNHC)
- Massage is becoming more and more popular as is seen by it now being offered in all fields of sport, including the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games. The SMTO contacts its Members when there are opportunities at Athletic Events to promote Sports Massage.
- We assist Members in procuring advertising. Advertising can be difficult for Massage Therapists in some areas - we back our Members completely, contacting newspapers as necessary.
- We work with national groups – the General Council for Massage Therapies, the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council. Paulo Quadros keeps us up to date with the Scottish Parliament – and needs help!
- We generate publicity by supporting National Back Pain Week, for example, and supply posters for Members to use for advertising.
All Members are encouraged to advertise and generate publicity in their areas. The SMTO helps by providing posters, flyers and advice as necessary.
- Support and advice is available both to members of the public who are considering Massage Therapy, as well as Therapists who require advice.